Saturday, August 7, 2010

Things I'm loving right now

I'm loving so many things right now, so I feel like I'd give a big taste of the best things.

Again, Akira Kurosawa- Go rent one of his movies. I have three more from the library, and will have more soon. Fun fact, the movie The Hidden Fortress was one of the biggest influence on George Lucas for Star Wars. Awesome. You can tell just by watching it.

Janelle Monae- This fantastic woman is one of the greatest musical artists I've heard in a long time. Her music is great and catchy and funky and fun on the surface, and then you realize that all of her songs are  deeply emotional, and then you realize that she's made two concept albums of the story of a messiah-like android in a science fiction world called Metropolis. Her music videos have also surpassed even Lady Gaga in craziness and weird stories and absolute beauty. The music video for Tightrope started a new dance craze and has made me want to wear a tuxedo all the time, Many Moons showed a world of this crazy Metropolis android auction, which I'm still working to understand, and then there's this:



I don't think I could love her more.

Samurai Jack- This show was on Cartoon Network years ago, and I had remembered catching glimpses of it when my family got cable when I was in Junior High. However, a couple summers ago when I got my wisdom teeth out and had nothing to do but lay on the couch and watch movies and television, I got a couple DVDs from the library. It is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. The animation is BEAUTIFUL and the use of color and light make it extremely cinematic. Plus, it's funny as well as exciting. The basic premise is that this samurai warrior from many years ago stood up to fight Aku, a shape shifter who basically is pure evil. Before the warrior could finally defeat him, Aku sent him forward in time to the very distant future where Aku has taken over the world and robots, strange creatures, and people, are all trying to live. The samurai gets the name Jack and goes on a quest to defeat Aku and return to his own time. The action and violence is really exciting. It would probably not have been a show for kids if Jack had't been annihilating and chopping up humans instead of robots. A bunch of episodes are posted online, and I highly recommend it if you get the change to see it. Here's the second episode:




Ann Arbor Michigan- need I say more? It's also been beautiful the last couple of days, which helps.

This picture: pure happiness

The California Supreme Court's Overturn of Proposition 8- This is a fantastic step in equal rights for all people. My favorite part of the decision is the judge's well-constructed argument that marriage is not something that is entered into as only a means to have kids, which was a big argument that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. There is no test for your child-bearing potential when a a couple gets their marriage license, so how can it only be applicable to a man and a woman, and how can it not be prejudiced to not allow a same sex couple to enter into that union? (I thank Alan Cumming's blog for highlighting this part of the ruling. He put it so well I stole that last sentence)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel -
No, scratch that
JOSS WHEDON IN GENERAL- This man is nothing short of genius and if you have never heard of him or seen any work that he's done as a writer, director, or storytelling mastermind, I am sorry you have unknowingly led a sad life up until now because whatever he puts his name to is amazing. I say that I'm loving him right now just because my roommate Kacie and I have been watching the 6th season of Buffy and I'm getting into season 2 of Angel, but I have been a fan for many years now. Firefly is the most incredible show ever to be on television, and he's done so much good he can't be passed up. Genius. Joss Whedon is also going to be co-writing and directing The Avengers movie. Couldn't be more excited.

Also, while I'm in mind of Buffy in terms of things I'm loving right now...

Spike-
yummy....
I think this blog just turned into a 14-year-old girl's blog. Posting pictures of hot guys. What's wrong with me...

And finally, Blogging- This is starting to get really fun. Maybe one day I'll even have people who read this...

3 comments:

  1. Indeed, I too am in love with Spike so it doesn't even matter if we're a bunch of 14 year old girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never admit to having a 14-year-old-girl crush on Spike. But I will say that I make really sad whimpery sounds each and every time Buffy rejects him.

    I JUST finished watching Season Six of Buffy with my cousin who is now officially hooked on the show. I have just planted a virus in the Norwegian teenage population.

    Have you read Mr. Whedon's graphic novel "Fray?" Read it. Dig it. I absolutely know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should have a Janelle Monae listen-through of Arch Android when I get back.

    ReplyDelete