Thursday, August 26, 2010

Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key

I'm fully and totally underway into Thesis-land. This trip is going to be long and difficult and quite exciting. But I'm so excited.

Since it's possible there may be people who are reading this who don't know about my project (unlikely, but possible) I'm gonna do a quick rundown of the show/copy what I wrote in the audition notice for the actors to read...

The Diver is the 2008 collaboration between Irish playwright Colin Teevan and Japanese playwright, director, and actor Hideki Noda. The story follows a woman held by the police, thought to be guilty of murder. However, this woman mentally believes herself to be various characters from traditional Japanese stories and plays. She leads investigators on a journey through her mind as they try to discover the truth behind her actions. This blend of a contemporary murder case with traditional Japanese Noh Theatre creates a beautiful and poetic fusion of styles that has led to a complex and multi-layered journey into Japanese classical theatre and modern psychiatric theory.

So as a directing major, I'm going to be directing the show in my school's Video Studio, a space made for multimedia use. I'm doing the project as a joint project with my friend Matt Glenn, who is a music technician/audio engineer/sound designer extraordinaire. Link to his blog here. If you do some scouring, you can find some of his work from past shows we've worked on together too. Some really sweet stuff.

So for the last couple months, I have been reading, researching, watching, thinking, stressing, and obsessing over this project. The script is beautiful and powerful, and I have been working with designers and technical minds, and soon will be working with actors as well. It's easily the most ambitious project I have ever taken on. So. Excited. and So. Terrified.

So auditions are in about two weeks (actually two weeks from today....)  and I couldn't be more excited. And all those problems I know are around the corner, I stick my tongue and middle finger to. So ha. 

In other news, it's Sher Watts Spooner's birthday today. Happy Birthday, Mama!

And now, for pure fun for fun's sake, I leave you with this because I have been doing all the Muppet quizzes on Sporcle the past couple days. And who doesn't love the Muppets:

No comments:

Post a Comment